Dry Mouth Treatment in Peoria, AZ
What Is Dry Mouth Treatment?
If you experience persistent dryness or lack of saliva in your mouth, you could have a condition known as dry mouth (xerostomia). It's usually a symptom of a medication (such as antidepressants or chemotherapy drugs) or a separate health condition, like hypothyroidism. It's also not uncommon to experience dry mouth at night. However, over-the-counter remedies for dry mouth can be frustratingly ineffective while prescription medications to relieve dry mouth often come with unwanted side effects.
At Reflections Dental, there are many different treatments or combinations of treatments for dry mouth. If you are experiencing symptoms of dry mouth, contact us at our Peoria, AZ practice to get connected with Dr. Donald Hildebrandt, and start experiencing relief.
How Does Dry Mouth Treatment Work?
Dry mouth, also known as xerostomia, can cause discomfort and lead to dental issues. However, our team can recommend some treatments and preventive measures to help manage and reduce dry mouth symptoms. Below are some of the commonly recommended interventions to combat dry mouth:
- Saliva substitutes: These can be used to mimic natural saliva and keep the mouth moist.
- Medications: Pilocarpine can be prescribed to stimulate saliva production.
- Staying hydrated: Drinking adequate water throughout the day can help prevent a dry mouth.
- Chewing interventions: Chewing xylitol or sugar-free gum can stimulate saliva flow.
- Mouthwashes: Rinsing with antifungal or antibacterial mouthwashes can be beneficial.
Oral care recommendations to help reduce dry mouth symptoms include:
- Brushing teeth gently at least twice a day with fluoridated toothpaste
- Using lozenges, moisturizing oral sprays, and gels
- Regular fluoride treatments to prevent tooth decay
- Avoiding caffeine, alcohol, and tobacco may help the mouth stay healthy
What Are the Benefits of Dry Mouth Treatment?
Saliva does more than keep our mouths moist. It plays a multifunctional role in our overall oral health and maintains an adequate coating in the mouth. It also provides the following advantages:
- Prevents tooth decay
- Neutralizes acids generated by bacteria
- Reduces bacterial growth in the mouth
- Washes away food particles
- Improves our ability to taste various flavors
- Helps the chewing process to ensure food is prepared for swallowing
- Contains enzymes to break down food and helps the digestive process
- Impacts the health of teeth and gums
- Influences appetite and enjoyment of food
Reflections Dental Reviews
Great office !! Very accommodating, friendly, professional, i highly recommend them.
Best dentist in the Phoenix area!
Kepted me informed with each step as they performed my teeth cleaning.
I have been a patient of Dr. Hildebrandt@ Reflections Dental for twenty plus years. He is such a wonderful dentist. Kind, considerate, gentle, caring, compassionate and makes you feel comfortable while having work done on your teeth. I always have a wonderful experience when I have my dental appts. Dr’s entire staff is so accommodating and helpful and kind. I am so happy to recommend my Dentist to friends and family. Thank you.
Very friendly, and helpful. The staff is experienced and professional. I highly recommend Reflections Dental.
Personalized Treatment Based on Your Needs
If you believe you are dealing with chronic dry mouth, contact Reflections Dental. Your provider will offer a diagnosis and a personalized treatment regimen based on your individualized needs. Our goal is to make getting the dental care you need simple and convenient. We invite you to get started today.